Sometimes the teeth darken into yellowish, brown, or black colors due to accretion on the exterior of the teeth, hiding their natural color. Sometimes teeth themselves are discolored due to a variety of factors.
Teeth whitening or tooth bleaching, a non-invasive treatment, is the process of removal of stains and restoring the natural color of the teeth. It is the most common and abundantly performed dental cosmetic
procedure. There are mainly 3 types of teeth discoloration: age-related discoloration, extrinsic discoloration, and intrinsic discoloration.
What Causes Dental Stains?
The causes of dental stains are:
- Damage to the dental pulp due to injuries to teeth
- Drinking tea, coffee, and wine
- Smoking and chewing tobacco
- Certain medications may stain the teeth
- With age, the enamel wears away, exposing and staining the inner layers of the teeth
- Poor dental hygiene
- Genetic conditions also lead to teeth discoloration
The Procedure of Teeth Whitening
We will first examine the teeth and gums. In the presence of any complications, the teeth whitening procedure is different from the general procedure. We will always clean your enamel of any plaque before the treatment.
In case of any decayed or damaged teeth, we will carefully fill them to avoid the teeth whitening gel from getting in the cavity and reaching the nerve chamber or root canal
We will then use a rubber guard to help you keep your mouth open. After a barrier is put on the gums to protect them, we will spread the whitening gel on the surface of the teeth with the help of a syringe. Laser light is then used to initiate the whitening agent. After the teeth whitening procedure is complete, the gel is left for a few minutes before washing it away. Depending on the degree of teeth staining, the process may be repeated three or more times.
How to Take Care of Your Teeth After the Treatment?
- Nothing is to be consumed within 2 hours of the treatment
- Any colored drinks, such as tea, coffee, red wine, cold drinks, carrot or beetroot juice, should be avoided
- Using colored toothpaste may again discolor the teeth
- Smoking and chewing tobacco should be avoided for a few days
Advantages of Teeth Whitening
- It maintains oral hygiene, a healthy mouth, and as a result, fewer health problems are faced by an individual
- It is a painless cosmetic treatment that consumes very little time
- It is affordable and safe
- It gives you an aesthetic smile which boosts confidence
Please reach out to iTooth Family Dentistry in Springfield, MO, to have a consultation with our dentists, Dr. Robbins or Dr. Fincel. Call Dentist Springfield MO at (417) 883-8515 or schedule an online consultation, and we’ll guide you further.